Careers Education, Advice & Guidance
All students are educated at The John Roan and receive outstanding careers guidance which supports them in making informed decisions about their future. Students get the opportunity to develop their employability skills (problem solving, communication, critical thinking, risk taking, creativity, leadership, and organisation to name but a few) within lessons and through our highly successful student leadership programme. Students are inspired to come to school and are highly optimistic about their future endeavours. Our students are confident young people that have the skills to be amazing future leaders.
What opportunities do students get for career guidance at The John Roan?
Students at The John Roan value careers education because it supports them in making informed decisions about their future. We have a strong working relationship with Prospects whom we use for delivering 1:1 and group careers advice. We go above and beyond this and students as far down as Year 7 receive careers information by the following means:
- Mentoring and coaching (1:1 and group career support from specialised staff with high impact/aspiration)
- Speakers from the world of work
- An insight into National Careers Service into the labour market and the needs of employers
- Workplace visits and work experience placements
- Work ‘taster’ events such as competitions
- Careers fairs and career networking events
- Access to open days at further and higher education institutions
- Access to creative online resources and labour market intelligence
- Help with basic careers management skills like CV writing, CV building, job searches and job interviews.
Through all or our careers information and guidance we have proven success with 100% of our students leaving for full time education, employment or training.